We may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) when you click on a link and purchase a product. How it works?
TOP TEN CAR GUN SAFE FOR YOUR VEHICLE
Gun safe for cars is nothing new, and people have been using such a device for ages. But in the last few years, people have become more conscious of the need for such a safety storage device. This growing trend is evident as seen in the increasing online searches for buying advice.
When you travel and need protection, you will usually take your handgun with you. Where to keep it in the car is the next logical question you will ask, and like many others, you would just place it in the console compartment or the glove box.
That’s seriously wrong. You are contradicting your intention to stay safe; you are in fact, compromising your own safety.
A gun safe designed for cars is the solution to this for both security and safety. There are no two ways about it.
So, if you are one of those who understand the importance of a proper firearm storage in a car, this car gun safe review has the information you want for a buying decision. And only the best models which meet safety standards and within reasonable pricing range are listed (in random order).
1. SnapSafe (2 Pack) Keyed Alike Lock Boxes, X-Large 75211, Portable Steel Handgun Safe & Case, Measures 10”x 7”x 2”
Because of their portability, these safes can be used not only in cars, but also on airplanes, as they meet the TSA airline firearm guidelines. They also meet the California firearm safety device requirements.
Size, Design and Make
Each SnapSafe lock box measures 10 x 7 x 2 inches and, it can take up to two handguns, but you will find putting just one fits nicely in with plenty of room for other items.
The durable 16-gauge steel construction offers high impact strength and prying resistance. The design is basic but practical as it can be hidden away from prying eyes. You can fit it nicely either under the seat or in the trunk.
- Easy to operate and reliable steel key lock mechanism.
- The hinges are sturdy and of high precision for perfect closing every time.
- 1,500 pounds rated 4ft cable; there is one for each car gun safe (in this 2 pack option). This steel cable adds another security level for your handgun.
- Protective foam interior to protect your guns and other valuable items from abrasion.
The foam inserts can be thicker for added protection.
You can readily use a SnapSafe lock box as under seat gun safe, given its size and design. It’s reliable and easy to conceal. Most of all, it doesn’t cause a dent in your wallet.
And Amazon is a better deal to get this pack-of-2 Keyed-Alike SnapSafe Lock Box.
2. GunVault NV200 NanoVault 200 with Key Lock (Black)
You can confidently say that this is a classic car pistol vault, and you can bring it onto a plane too as it conforms with the TSA airline guidelines for firearms.
Size, Design and Make
Measuring 9-1/2 x 6-1/2 x 1-3/4 inches, this safe is ideal for a single gun. The flat design makes it easy to stow under the seat or even the map pocket of some cars. The 18-gauge steel construction offers a basic level of protection.
- Easy to operate Mechanical Key Lock System and precise fitting makes it virtually impossible to pry open the safe with hand tools.
- 1.25-inches thick memory foam interior offers effective shock-absorbing protection and prevents the content from shifting.
- Standard 4 ft security cable of 1,500 lbs rating safely secure the safe and everything in it from theft.
The keys could be made tougher. But still, with proper use and care, they can withstand the test of time.
At that price level, what more can you ask for? This GunVault NV200 NanoVault 200 could just be the best car gun safe for you if all you want is simplicity and reliability.
At what price level? Check out for more user reviews and latest price information on Amazon.
3. VAULTEK VT20i Biometric Handgun Safe Bluetooth Smart Pistol Safe with Auto-Open Lid and Rechargeable Battery
This Vaultek biometric safe is one of the most technologically advanced models available in the market. It took more than two years of research and design by the company before the first unit was shipped in October 2016.
The highlight of this smart handgun safe is the multiple quick and easy access point including the basic key and lock. And it meets the DOJ firearm safety device requirements in California.
Size, Design and Make
With its internal dimensions of 11 x 5-3/4 x 2 inches, this VAULTEK VT20i can accommodate, if you need to, two handguns. With its 16-gauge carbon steel construction, the safe can take some pretty harsh impact without compromising its protective function.
The external dimension is 11.5 x 9.0 x 2.75 inches; noticed the stark difference in the width? That’s a 3-1/4 inch difference from the internal depth due to the embedded lock system and concealed hinges.
Overall you will love its stylish high-tech exterior, and you can easily hide it under the car seat or the trunk.
- Two anti-pry bars on both sides (width wise) prevent any deliberate attempt to pry the safe open with tools.
- Two Point Anti-Impact latches can sustain high force impact to keep the safe intact.
- Unique internal hinge design makes it impossible to be breached from outside.
- The biometric scanner can store up to 20 unique fingerprints. So it allows keyless operation even by other trusted users whose fingerprints are registered.
- Illuminated keypad offers quick access to your handgun even in the dark.
- VAULTEK App (available for Android and iOS devices) offers multiple functions on your mobile device. You can track usage history, manage user accounts, check battery status, open the safe with just one quick swipe and more. And don’t worry about security, the interaction between the app and your Vaultek VT20i safe uses the highest level Bluetooth encryption.
- The lithium-ion rechargeable battery can last up to six months with just 2.5 hours of charging time.
- Anti-theft 4 feet long security cable provides the added security when access to the safe is being compromised.
Can you still think about charging the battery after four long months from the last charge? That’s about the cons of any high-tech device; you can’t get away with not using power. But the good thing is, you still have the key and lock to save the day.
Just don’t forget where you keep the keys.
With all the advanced features and build (with security at the forefront of their thoughts), this VT20i definitely has the appeal of the best car gun safe for any user. And that’s assuming you wouldn’t mind the over 200 bucks price tag. But then, that’s a small price to pay considering your safety and security is priceless.
For price information and other user reviews, visit Amazon.
4. ShotLock Handgun 200M Solo-Vault (Mechanical)
If accessibility and portability are your main consideration for a car gun safe, this is it.
You can easily move, relocate and mount it on a wall, under your desk, or in a vehicle. Or simply keeping it close to you whenever you are away from your car like in a camping tent or fishing by the lake or river.
This feature alone appeals to many gun owners who need a very personal level of both security and safety at all times.
Size, Design and Make
When you first set your hands on this pistol vault, you can literally feel its solid construction and finish with its heaviness. The 14 gauge steel construction will just reassure your sense of security convincingly.
Measuring 11-3/8 x 7-1/2 x 2-3/8 inches on the exterior and 9 x 7 x 2 inches internally, this vehicle pistol safe is big enough to hold an M1911 handgun perfectly. And that simply means it can accommodate a wide variety of popular gun models and ample room for magazines and ammo.
The military grade 14-gauge steel frame makes this pistol safe a class above most of the other top-rated vehicle gun safes. And with two internal locking points on a flanged no-pry lid, good luck with trying to pry open this mulish metal container. The reversible left or right door opening offers great flexibility in the mounting position and accessibility.
It comes with a strap handle which makes it easy to carry around even with your hands full. This feature allows you to move and secure the safe anywhere in the house and your car. So you don’t need a separate safe for your vehicle or at home.
- The lock is 100% all mechanical, no electronics. So you don’t have to deal with any flat batteries or replacement.
- The mechanical lock is programmable with over 1,500 combinations. The operating mechanisms are robust and easy to operate and changing of the security code combination is easy with the clear instructions provided.
- The buttons on the numeric keypad are well spaced out which reduces errors during an emergency, and the buttons are large enough for easy operation.
- Protective felt inner liner filled the interior which prevents scratches and abrasion to your gun.
- 6 screw mounting holes and a provision for security cable; if you so decided to make it non-portable.
Perhaps the idea of a steel security cable defeats the purpose of portability. But yet, the design is not restricting you for wanting that added security by providing the holes, but not the cable.
Buy the cable yourself. That’s the message. (Oh, in case you are buying one, the cable holes can take up to a 5/16″ size cable.)
And some may argue that the lack of electronics inevitably omit some vital functions like the ease of operation in the dark with a little back-lighting.
If convenience, flexibility, and ease of operation appeal to you, along with security, of course, then this ShotLock Handgun 200M will be THE best car gun safe for you.
But like any gun safes, use it responsibly. For it can protect you and your family or expose your vulnerability when fallen into the wrong hands, including your kids’.
Find out what experiences users are having with this Shotlock 1911 Full Handgun Solo Vault on Amazon.
5. Cobra Vaults Portable In Car Gun Safe Case For Full Size Pistol or Handgun Vault Lock box with key lock includes 4 ft security cable and carrying cable
This portable vehicle gun safe model is compact, elegant and versatile. It can fit in your glove compartment or another stowaway pocket/compartment in your car and even under the seat.
It meets the TSA airline firearm guidelines which just means you can bring it along when you travel by plane. So is this going to be the best car gun safe for you? Let’s find out about the build, features, and specifications of this Cobra in-car gun safe.
Size, Design and Make
The external dimensions of this Cobra model is a compact 11 x 8-5/16 x 2-1/4 inches, which allows you to place it almost anywhere in your car and away from prying eyes. Pre-drilled holes make for easy mounting if you want it fitted as a permanent fixture in your car.
Its internal dimensions are 10-5/8 x 7-7/8 x 2-1/16 inches, and you can fit in a good variety of handguns including the 1911 pistol and still have rooms for magazine and ammunition. Or put in another smaller gun if you like.
The smooth round edges and corners are kids friendly, and with the 8-inch security cable handle, you can pick up this safe in a swift. This little detail may seem trivial but in an urgent situation speed and fumble-free movement can save yourself from some nasty consequences.
The 18 gauge heavy-duty steel construction does a decent job of protecting the contents from high-energy attacks. And the interior is layered with a soft foam to protect the surface of your firearms from scratches.
Simple key and lock system takes away any complication of forgetting passwords, flat batteries, and tedious set and reset of security passcodes. And two 1500 pounds rated security cable are included for maximum protection against theft and portability.
- Good old dependable mechanical key and lock offers good protection overall.
- Foam inserts protect content against abrasion, as a noise damper and prevent content from shifting.
- Anti-theft 38-inches long 1500 lbs rated steel security cable.
- 8-inch carrying cable of the same material and thickness as the 38-inches security cable.
It may be simple enough to figure out how to install the security cables, providing a simple 1-page text and pictorial instructions and good practices won’t hurt. And there are no backups if you lose the keys.
This Cobra Vault vehicle pistol safe could be a good choice for the average user given its simple design and practical to use. And if you hate remembering passcodes and all that high-tech security mumbo jumbo, this will be the right gun safe you can take to your car. Just don’t lose the keys or you will be protecting the attacker instead.
6. GERO Tactical Hard Locking Steel Metal Gun Case with Foam Padding and Security Cable
If you are looking for something basic rather than fancy, you should check out this car gun safe in the low price category. It may be low priced, but it still meets the TSA airline guidelines for firearms.
Size, Design and Make
This GERO gun safe model is best for keeping a single handgun and a spare magazine, given that it measures only 9-1/2 x 6-1/2 x 1-3/4 inches. This size is ideal for stowing under the seat or practically anywhere in the car so long as it can’t be seen from outside through the car windows.
With a 20-gauge steel body construction, this safe can withstand some knocks here and there. And the interior foam provides adequate protection against abrasion and rattle when traveling in the car.
Simple key & lock and a security cable to protect against smash and grab theft.
- Basic and reliable mechanical lock and key system.
- 1/2 inch foam lining sufficient for protecting the gun surface from scratches and good enough to dampen rattling noise.
- Security cable secures the safe from snatch thieves.
- No-brainer pricing.
If you need a reason to turn away from this Gero gun safe, it’s too basic. But you might be tempted by its low pricing level.
This GERO model will be the best car gun safe for you if all you want is to lock your guns away from your kids. And a safe storage when well hidden in the car from prying eyes.
Despite the basic construction and features, it still provides a reasonable level of security for your gun. Especially for a potential smash and grabs getaway; you will be able to leave your car and away from your sight for a short while without worries.
This Gero car gun safe has over 100 user reviews on Amazon. Check them out and see what’s the latest price.
7. 1010 The Console Vault
As its name suggests, this car gun safe is designed specifically for installation under the bench seat console of a vehicle. It doesn’t work for consoles that come with other types of seats or headrests.
It is designed primarily for SUVs and pickup trucks.
So before you decide on this console vault, be sure to check if it will fit in your vehicle. And if it does fit, you are going to love this 1010 model Under Seat Console Vault.
Size, Design and Make
This 1010 Console Vault is big enough to hold two handguns easily. The 12-gauge steel plate with ‘welded tabs and notch seams’ construction gives it the strength to withstand high impact forces without compromising its security function.
And given that it’s bolted in place rather than hooked on by a cable, it renders any sharpest or meanest wire cutter useless. Furthermore, a robust five-point locking system can resist any prying attempts, and a unique re-locking cam prevents access even when the high-security barrel lock is drilled.
The well-balanced spring-assisted door opens smoothly and swiftly every time to let you have quick access to your guns in an emergency. And you have a choice of either the barrel key lock or the keyless mechanical combination lock. The combo lock would come standard with the safe if you didn’t ask for the key lock.
Installation is super easy, and it can be done in 10 minutes or less. Simply slip it into the under seat console and start securing it with your vehicle’s factory console bolts. Pretty intuitive.
- Thick 12 gauge cold rolled steel plate with welded tabs and notched seams for the highest protection level.
- Combination lock or barrel key lock. Both are resistant to drilling.
- Pry-harden five-point locking system.
- Hinge latch pins that are similar in style and design to those used in bank vault doors.
- Quick and easy installation using factory console bolts.
The real bummer here is that the manufacturer doesn’t provide replacement barrel keys for the lock. So you should know better of the consequences if you lose them.
The other drawback is, not every truck models can be fitted with this under seat vault. You can only do it if your vehicle comes with bench style seat. But that’s not all; there are more considerations than just the bench seat.
So, if you are not sure the console in your truck is a match for this 1010 Console Vault, you may want to ask in Amazon. The customer service rep is very responsive with questions concerning installation.
Undoubtedly this will be the best car gun safe for you when security and safety are of paramount importance. But that is provided your vehicle’s make and model is the right fit for this 1010 Console Vault gun safe.
This under-seat console vault is truly an in-vehicle gun safe, and it’s almost like custom-made for your truck or SUV. It is as if the safe is an in-built interior feature provided by the vehicle manufacturer.
Unlike those general purpose safes discussed previously, you now have a fix and secure location which is well hidden and offers the highest level of security and protection.
Try to contrast this with the security cable; you know you can’t get any better than this.
So, is your vehicle’s make and model a match for this in-vehicle gun safe? Find out what are the installation questions asked by truck and SUV owners on Amazon.
8. Fort Knox FTK-AUTO Auto Pistol Box Handgun Safe
Need a time-tested and reliable car gun safe from a time-tested and reliable manufacturer? Then look no further.
As one of the leading gun vault manufacturer in the country, Fort Knox never fails to deliver on its claim for product quality and reliability. Its lifetime warranty is a clear testament to that commitment.
So, will the same commitment apply on this Fort Knox FTK-AUTO? Let’s find out.
Size, Design and Make
The 10 gauge body and 3/16 inch thick door are what makes this car gun safe the strongest among all. The locking mechanism is a dependable Simplex mechanical lock with over 1000 user combinations.
The advantage with mechanical combo lock is, you will never have to worry about flat batteries or aging electronic components. Mechanical locks can last forever, and that is how Fort Knox can promise you a lifetime warranty.
Measuring 4 x 4 x 8 inches in interior dimension, you can only place one handgun (not a full size 1911) and two magazines in this Fort Knox pistol safe model. The external dimension is 6-1/2 x 5 x 9-1/2 inches which will not be a good fit for any sedan car. But it is small enough to fit into most truck console.
Carpet is used to line the interior instead of foam. So, unlike those portable gun safes, it won’t stop the gun from shifting when the car is in motion. Which also explains why it is designed for storing only one gun.
And of course, this Fort Knox Auto Safe comes with a Lifetime Warranty, and it also exceeds the California Firearms Safety Device Requirements.
- 10 gauge steel body and 3/16″ plate door construction gives it the heft and rigidity against high-impact knocks and pounding.
- Durable antique silver textured powder coat finish protects the safe surface from rust.
- Reliable Simplex mechanical lock with 1,080 possible combinations offers maximum security.
- Door with spring assisted hinges for quick door opening in all mounting position.
- The durable carpeted interior provides the needed protection for the gun surface.
- Four pre-drilled bolt down holes for easy securing of the safe to the floor in the vehicle.
Though carpet is more durable than foam, it is not as effective as foam in absorbing vibrations. The rattling will irritate the hell out of you if you don’t take remedial measures like adding some layers of anti-slip padding on the base inside.
The physical size is a little bulky for portability. And yet the interior is not too generous for a full size 1911. So you are better off having it fixed permanently in the console which will be the best use of this Fort Knox FTK-AUTO car gun safe.
Regardless of the threats, be it smash and grabs theft, prying or drilling attacks to just preventing your kids from accessing your guns, this Fort Knox car gun safe will give you the peace of mind.
The reliability of its parts ensures you will always have quick access to your weapon without any glitches. And the lifetime warranty just goes to show the high confidence the company has on the build quality of its in-vehicle gun safe.
And meeting the California DOJ standards is just part and parcel of a good gun safe produced by a trusted manufacturer.
More on how owners are using their Fort Knox FTK-AUTO gun safe and why they deemed it as the best car gun safe despite the small internal storage space.
9. SentrySafe Pistol Safe, Quick Access Biometric Gun Safe, Single Gun Capacity, QAP1BE
This SentrySafe biometric gun safe is a mid-range model with great aesthetic and features comparable to those high-end models. From the elegant exterior right down to the functioning details are well thought out for security and ease of access.
It meets the California DOJ requirements for firearm safety, so you know it has, at least, the foundation of a good car gun safe. So let’s find out what it is made of that has over a thousand users raving about it.
Size, Design and Make
The interior of this SentrySafe QAP1BE pistol safe measures 2.2 x 6.7 x 9.7 inches, perfect for one handgun with a spare magazine or ammunition. And its exterior dimension is 3.2 x 9.9 x 12.1 inches; it is flat enough to stow it under the car seat to keep away from prying eyes and offers quick access in an emergency.
But it may be too heavy and bulky for the glove compartment as this robust beauty is made of thick heavy duty 12 gauge steel body and weighs a hefty 11.9 pounds. And albeit the solid steel body construction, your gun is delicately protected by the foam-lined interior from scratches.
And if you prefer to have it bolted on a fixed location in the car, make sure it is in a position that allows the top-opening door to open freely. Though this SentrySafe pistol safe is not designed for vertical mounting, some creative users are using gun magnets to work around this limitation. And this hack turns out working just fine with the door opening sideways.
Otherwise, the included security cable should offer adequate protection against smash and grabs theft.
There’s quite a bit of hit and misses on the biometric lock and battery life, but more than 80% of the users don’t have any problem with it pretty much sums up its reliability. A backup key and lock offer the assurance of accessibility when the electronics fail you.
You will love how the zero feedback lock and compression gas strut door offers quick & whisper-quiet access to your firearm. The last thing you ever wanted is the intruder’s attention when you try to unlock the safe and access your guns. So this feature alone can save you precious seconds during a dangerous situation. Thus save lives.
- Convenient 3-way access via biometric fingerprint, electronic keypad, and overriding key.
- One-hand operation biometric lock let you have a free hand to dial 911 while you retrieve your firearm with the other.
- Compression gas strut provides fast and silent door opening so you can access your firearm quickly and discreetly.
- Heavy duty industrial grade 12 gauge steel body construction offers the maximum security and protection for your gun.
- Pry resistance door prevents unauthorized access to your firearm.
- Interior foam lining helps keep your firearm from scratching damages and as a shock absorber to prevent rattling.
- This SentrySafe QAP1BE comes with bolt down hardware and security cable to prevent criminals from removing the safe during a burglary attack.
- Elegant exterior subtly blends with the surrounding aesthetics.
- Department of Justice California DOJ Certified for firearm storage and protection.
The electronics are a bit of a power eater. You will have to check and replace the batteries regularly. The biometric lock won’t work if the battery is weak.
And you better don’t let the batteries die in the event of a power failure and with an intruder in the house. You will be so helpless and vulnerable if you don’t have the key readily within your reach.
If you think biometric is all hypes and overrated for your taste, you should try this SentrySafe QAP1BE pistol safe. You might change your perception for good.
The fingerprint scan is fast and accurate even in deliberate ways you try to game it. And in no way, an unregistered thumb or finger can unlock the safe.
Which, perhaps, is why the scanner needs greater battery power to work its fast and high accuracy scanning.
The little inconvenience of having to watch out for the battery state is worth it. And if you look at it from another angle, it is actually an advantage – it forces you not to take the battery power for granted. Afterall, shouldn’t you be mindful of safety and security at all times?
Once you have experienced the new and better security offered by the biometric lock you wouldn’t want other ways of entry. And high chance this SentrySafe QAP1BE could just be the best car gun safe for you when quick access to your firearm and dependable protection is your top priority.
Visit Amazon for more user reviews and latest price information.
10. First Alert 5100K Portable Handgun Safe with Key Lock, TSA Approved
Finally, the number 10 best car gun safe takes you back to the core of good old key and lock of no-frills security.
So you just want a gun safe that can keep your kids from messing with your firearm and can easily stow away from nosey eyes, have a look at this First Alert 5100K portable gun safe.
It is compact enough for one gun and some room for magazine and ammunition. And in case you need to travel with it, you can chuck it into your briefcase as this First Alert safe meets the TSA firearm guidelines.
Size, Design and Make
The interior dimension is what determines the gun size to fit into this 5100K gun safe. So can your gun fit into a space of 9.3″L x 6.3″W x 1.5″H?
Before you hit the ‘Buy’ button, it pays to check the dimensions of your gun. That will save you time and frustrations later.
The external dimensions are 9.5″L x 6.5″W x 1.75″H, pretty compact and slim enough to hide it under the car seat or maybe even the side pocket.
The rounded edge makes it easy to pick up from a flat surface. Well, you might think this is insignificant but in an emergency, every second count. Any little mistake can lead to dire consequences.
The 18 gauge steel body provides the minimum protection against light impact. And the interior is foam padded to protect your gun from scratches and hold it from shifting.
And the 1500 lbs rated security cable is necessary to secure the safe from forced removal.
- 18 gauge steel body protects against normal wear, tear, and the accidental drop impact.
- Anti-rust black powder-coated finish.
- Smooth working mechanical lock strong enough to provide base level security.
- Interior foam padding protects your gun from scratches and rattles during motion.
- 1500 lbs security steel cable protects against smash and grabs theft.
According to the manufacturer’s website, the warranty is only 90 days.
This pistol safe by First Alert may not be the best car gun safe you have ever considered. But if it can provide the base security and safety for your family, why not?
And at that price level, really there’s nothing much you can pick on. Even a mere accidental drop onto a hard floor, and saves your gun from scratch; you’ve got your money back already.